Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Aline Ellis Clinkies!

Aline Ellis 1886-1971 was a clay modeller, potter, and animal artist,who studied at the School of Art in Bushey, Hertfordshire and lived and worked at Ebury Lodge, Little Hadham, Herts.
In the late 1940s, Muriel Jervis became the live-in companion of Aline Ellis,  who lived in Hertfordshire. Muriel continued to live with Aline Ellis until her death in the late 1960s. Aline is pictured on the left, Muriel on the right.

 
 These pieces I have were purchased by me from her estate in 2007 through Gorringes galleries UK. I was blessed to have been in touch with her great-nephew Francis Clark-Lowes who verified the pieces I have as he handled the dispersal of her estate and the last of her work.


What I don't know is if these are one of a kind works, tests or what. Most of them arrived to me in terrible condition, broken, firing cracks, glaze flaking. But the essence of the sculptures is so beautiful! My favorite is this Shire broodmare. She is huge, standing about 9 inches tall and over 10 inches long. I love her drooping lip and her peaceful demeanor. She also has a handsome colt who arrived in very good condition.
The mare arrived to me in about 10 pieces so in my spare time I have been reassembling her and am thrilled that she is now standing. She hasn't been on her feet in over three years and rebuilding a piece that is on a broken base is a real trick. She broke off her base and every leg was in about three pieces.
Her colt just makes me smile. He looks like a mischievious little devil, but you can sure see his quality. I love his colt "beard" hanging off his little chin.

Look at that face and those adorable big fuzzy ears.

Aline really had a great feel for the drafters. She could sculpt conformation and realism, and these horses looked like the good working horses of their day.


This lying cremello colt even has lovely blue eyes.
 I have quite a few more of her pieces which I will post when I get time and get them all photographed. If you have any of her work I would love to see it. All of these pieces were tin glazed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin-glazing  




1 comment:

  1. Hi,I have recently dicovered the work of Aline Eliis and have one piece which is the huntsman on the bay hunter.He is fabulous.I am looking to start collecting works by aline now so if anyone comes across any horses for sale I would definately be interested.Condition would not be an issue as I would be preapred to get them restored.I think she captures the spirit of the horse perfectly.I particularly like her heavy breed studies.Simply sublime!!

    ReplyDelete